This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure here.
I stumbled upon this recipe for Smoky Corn & Black Bean Pizza and just knew I had to try it ASAP! I wanted to eat the picture of the pizza! It just looked soooo darn good! However, the recipe calls for store bought whole wheat pizza dough – well I’m more into making my own dough because then I know exactly what is in it – so I searched the web for a recipe. Oddly enough I came across a whole wheat pizza dough recipe at the same site that the Smoky Corn & Black Bean Pizza was being shared. So I figured it would probably be the best fit to the pizza recipe.
You can either start out by making your own dough like I did or just buy a whole wheat pizza dough at the store. If you are using store bought dough skip down to part 2.
Part 1: Making the Dough
Part 2: Adding the Toppings
I’m not kidding when I say that I could eat this pizza every single night for the rest of my life! It was sooo good. The BBQ sauce added such a fun subtle twist to it that it just made it outstanding!
I actually had a bunch of left over bean/corn/tomato toppings (because silly me accidentally made the 12oz of dough and not the 1lb of dough) so I heated up my oven, layered some flour tortillas just like I had the pizza and finished it up. It wasn’t nearly as good as the pizza with the whole wheat crust but it was an easy way to use up the rest of the veggies.
Lover Boy and the kids LOVED this recipe as well. I know that we will be making it again soon…especially since it is summer time and our grill is always on!
Hope you give this a try!
Dough Recipe: From www.eatingwell.com
TO MAKE 12 OUNCES DOUGH:
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 package quick-rising yeast, (2 1/4 teaspoons), such as Fleischmann’s RapidRise
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2-2/3 cup hot water, (120-130°F)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
TO MAKE 1 POUND DOUGH:
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 package quick-rising yeast, (2 1/4 teaspoons), such as
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 cup hot water, (120-130°F)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 plum tomato, diced
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels, (about 2 ears)
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 pound prepared whole-wheat pizza dough
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella, preferably smoked mozzarella – use a vegan cheese to make this recipe vegan
These pizzas are so so so good!