Hearty. Savory. Flavorful. What more could you ask for in a pasta dish? This homemade pesto cream sauce is best top on of cavatappi pasta and served with fresh roma tomatoes!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I'll receive a commission if you purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure here.
I’ve been struggling to figure out what to make for dinner lately, and Pinterest isn’t doing it. The recipes always have a ton of meat or just look way too cheesy. So what’s a gal to do? Ahh, I know! Browse the 297498 cookbooks she has! Yep! That’s just what I did. I decided on a recipe from Pioneer Woman for the most delicious pasta! My family loved it and my husband said it was the best meal I’ve made in months (hahaha, apparently I’ve really been slacking in the dinner making department!)
I changed things up just a bit, per our liking and this dish was amazing!
- heavy cream
- homemade basil pesto sauce: basil leave, Parmesan cheese, pine nuts, garlic coves, salt & pepper, extra-virgin olive oil
- pasta, cavatappi, cooked to al dente
Let’s Make It Together!
- Make the basil pesto – HERE’S the full recipe tutorial
2. Bring a pot of water to boil and cook cavatappi pasta al dente
3. In a large sauce pan, heat cream and add butter, whisk
4. Add homemade basil pesto
5. Add grated Parmesan cheese
6. Whisk everything together
7. Add pasta to the sauce pan and combine
8. Add diced tomatoes, they will become the perfect warm temperature from the pasta and sauce
9. Dish and serve!!!
More Pasta Dishes You’ll Love!
- Enchilada Pasta Casserole Bake, who says pasta has to always be Italian? Try this pasta dish with a Mexican twist! It’s amazing!
- The Best Meatball Recipe Ever! Hands down, the best meatballs to add to any pasta dish!
- Looking for a way to use up all those Ramen noodles you bought during quarantine?? This Ramen Noodle Stir Fry is for you!
- One Pot Lasagna My kiddos and I cooked this one on TV!
- Given up on pasta for the new year? Try these Zucchini Lasagna Rolls, you’ll love them!
Pasta with Homemade Pesto Cream Sauce
- 3/4 c fresh bail leaves
- 3/4 c Parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 tbs pine nuts
- 2 garlic cloves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 c extra-virgin olive oil, plus a little more if needed
- 1 c heavy cream
- 4 tbs butter
- 12 oz cavatappi pasta
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- Bring a large stock pot of water to boil. Cook cavatappi pasta until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a food processor, combine basil, Parmesan cheese, pine nuts, garlic, salt & pepper. Pulse/blend
- Add extra-virgin olive oil and pulse/blend again until you've reached the desired consistency for the pesto
- Set aside or store in a Mason jar in the refrigerator for up to 4 days
- In a large saucepan, heat the heavy cream, add in butter. Whisk
- Add in basil pesto sauce, whisk
- Add Parmesan cheese, whisk
- Add pasta and stir
- Add in diced tomatoes and serve immediately!