This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure here.
Ground beef, green bell pepper, onion, brown sugar, ketchup make up these deliciously easy, tried and true homemade Sloppy Joes sandwiches that will become a family favorite in no time!
Growing up my mom would make Sloppy Joes from time to time. Over the years, I definitely went from liking them to not liking them to liking them again. Typical kid tastebuds that are always changing!
As a result of my TV segment for BBQ Pork Rind Cheesy Cowboy Casserole, I had a bunch of uncooked ground beef in my refrigerator that I needed to use up. I needed a quick and easy dinner that could feed my family of five plus one in a hurry because we had to get to a baseball game. So, insert my mom’s Classic Sloppy Joe’s recipe!
Like all good hand-me-down recipes, there usually are no precise measurements! Or at least this is the case with my mom, haha! (like with her Meatball and Rice recipe!) She always used to tell me “I don’t know Stephanie! I’ve been making that for 100 years, I just add the ingredients in and taste it!” So…I just have to wing it!
Luckily I had all of the ingredients on hand so I was good to go! My daughter ran out to our garden and picked a green pepper while I quickly got the rest of the ingredients together. I was able to whip up the Sloppy Joes in a matter of 30 minutes! I call that a mom win type of recipe! A family favorite recipe!
Check out these 25 Ground Beef Dinner Ideas!
Sloppy Joe Ingredients
I love this simple Sloppy Joe recipe because it doesn’t require any strange ingredients that you may not typically have on hand. There’s no tomato paste, no Worcestershire sauce, no bbq sauce, no red pepper flakes. It’s just simple, basic ingredients that yields a huge flavor!
- ground beef – I prefer to use 90% lean ground beef
- onion – sweet yellow onions are best
- green pepper – bell peppers add a nice little kick of sweet when cooked. Use green or red bell peppers, you’re preference
- ketchup – use your favorite brand ketchup, mine is Heinz
- light brown sugar – the sweet molasses flavors make these Sloppy Joes extra delicious
How To Make Simple Sloppy Joes
I shared the recipe tutorial on Instagram – if you’re not following me there, you should!
Step 1: In a medium sized pot, cook the ground beef until browned thoroughly on medium heat
Step 2: While the beef is cooking, use a sharp knife on a cutting board and dice the onion and green pepper
Step 3: Add the onion and pepper to the browned ground beef and stir until combined
Step 4: Add ketchup and brown sugar. Stirring occasionally with s wooden spoon to make sure the beef does not stick to the bottom of the pot
Step 5: Simmer on low heat for 15-20 minutes, until the flavors have all melded together. *Think of this like chili, the longer it cooks, the better it tastes!
Step 6: Serve the Sloppy Joe meat mixture on your favorite hamburger or brioche buns
What To Serve with Sloppy Joes
Sloppy Joes are always best served with french fries, potato chips, baked beans, potato salad, cowboy caviar or homemade bean salad! Finish off your meal with healthy rainbow fruit kabobs or one-cup cupcake sundaes!
These delicious sloppy joe sandwiches are an easy weeknight dinner with the perfect balance of flavors. Make sure you have plenty of napkins on hand!
Store any leftover Sloppy Joe meat mixture in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. Reheat the cold meat mixture in a pot on the stove over medium heat until warmed all of the way through.
Classic 5 Ingredient Sloppy Joes Recipe
Classic 5 Ingredient Sloppy Joes
- 1 medium sized pot
- In a medium sized pot, cook the ground beef until browned thoroughly
- While the beef is cooking, use a sharp knife on a cutting board and dice the onion and green pepper
- Add the diced onion and pepper to the browned ground beef and stir until combined
- Add ketchup and brown sugar. Stirring occasionally to make sure the beef does not stick to the bottom of the pot
- Simmer on low heat for 15-20 minutes, until the flavors have all melded together. *Think of this like chili, the longer it cooks, the better it tastes!
- Serve the Sloppy Joe meat mixture on your favorite hamburger or brioche buns