This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure here.
I’ve been having some difficulty coming up with dinners lately because I feel pretty icky in the evenings (in case you missed it, I’m due with baby #3 in May!!), Anyway, the other day a friend came over to help Lover Boy move one of our couches up to the bonus room. Our friend mentioned that they had crockpot chicken quesadillas for lunch before coming over. He said you just dump a container of fresh salsa in the crockpot with chicken breasts and it’s done.
Check out my 25 Cinco de Mayo Quick and Easy Recipes!
So the other night I decided to make it, just not in the crockpot (I never plan my meals in advance so I had to come up with a different cooking method!) Now I’m telling you, as someone who doesn’t like chicken, it was soooo good! Lover Boy thought it tasted like a restaurant meal! (and he would know because we’ve been eating out so.much.lately!!!) Woo hoo!
Lets Make Them Together!
In a large dutch oven heat EVOO. Once hot, place in a boneless skinless chicken breast. Slightly brown on both sides.
Grab a container of fresh Pico de Gallo – or just cut up tomatoes, onions and cilantro and some lime juice separately.
Dump the whole container in and season with salt and pepper and 1 tsp chili powder and 1/4tsp garlic and cover with lid. Turn heat down to low-medium
After about 15 minutes or so, take two forks and start to shred the chicken. Recover with lid and turn to low heat for another 15 minutes
*in the meantime in a medium skillet heat EVOO and place in a really thinly sliced green pepper and 3 minced garlic cloves. Season with salt and pepper. Remove the peppers so you can use the same pan to heat up the tortilla shell
Drizzle in a little EVOO into the hot pan and place in a tortilla shell. Slightly brown/crisp on one side and then flip over. Immediately add in your chicken, peppers, cheese (I added rice in mine as well). Fold over and cook on each side until lightly brown/crisp. This helps cut down on how many tortillas you eat (if you’re worried about those types of things) and also ensures that the cheese gets melted all of the way through
Mmmm mmm good!
With the leftovers, I made the kids taco bowls and they loved them!!
Hope you enjoy!
- Chicken breast (as many as you feel you will need)
- Container of fresh Pico de Gallo
- 1tsp chili powder
- 1/4tsp garlic powder
- 1 thinly sliced green pepper
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- salt & pepper to taste
- tortilla shells
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream and salsa for dipping (optional)
- cooked rice (optional)
- Heat EVOO in large Dutch Oven
- Place in chicken breast and slightly brown on both sides
- Add in container of fresh Pico de Gallo. Cover pot with lid
- Cook on medium-low for 15 minutes
- Shred chicken with two forks
- Recover and keep on low heat for 15 more minutes
- In the meantime heat EVOO in pan and add in thinly sliced green peppers, minced garlic and salt & pepper
- Remove peppers and heat a drizzle more of EVOO
- Place in tortilla shell. Slightly brown/crisp on one side
- Flip over and immediately fill with chicken, peppers and cheese (and rice, optional)
- Fold in half and slightly brown/crisp on each side
- Enjoy! Dip in sour cream or salsa (optional)