Tis the season for pie making! Summer crops yield the best most ripe fruit perfect for pie making! I picked up a huge bag of plums and decided a Plum Pie would be great to take to an outdoor movie night that our friends were hosting!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I'll receive a commission if you purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure here.
My daughter and I started out by making Julia Child’s Homemade Puff Pastry Pie Crust
Next we washed a bunch of plums using our favorite organic fruit wash.
We then sliced up the plums and stirred them into a large bowl of melted butter, sugar and cinnamon.
Pile them into the pie dish with the homemade Puff Pastry dough and bake…and…in my case take it out of the oven too soon because you’re running late to the movie night, not finish cooking it and serve a totally undercooked pie to your wonderful hosts! HA! Don’t be like me!! Make sure you have enough time to cook the pie fully! 🙂
Enjoy this gorgeous beauty!
- Puff Pastry Dough:
- 2 3/4c all purpose flour
- 3/4c cake flour
- (reserve 1/2c of this flour)
- 1/4 c salad oil
- 2tsp salt
- 1c iced water, plus 1tbs more if needed
- Plum Filling:
- 7 Plums sliced 1/2″ thick
- 1/2c melted butter
- 1c sugar
- 2tbs cinnamon
- Puff Pastry Dough:
- Blend the 2 flours together in a mixing bowl with a rubber spatula. Remove 1/2c and reserve for later.
- Stir the oil into the flour and mix thoroughly with rubber spatula. Stir in salt and water, cutting and pressing ingredients firmly into a mass with spatula and then with the cupped fingers of one hand. Lift massed parts of dough out of bowl and place on pastry marble or board. Sprinkle unmanned bits of flour with drops of water; press together and add to dough.
- Press dough firmly and rapidly into a cushion shape. Consistency should be pliable.
- Lightly sprinkle with flour and wrap in waxed paper and put into a plastic bag and refrigerate for 40 minutes.
- Roll out and place into pie dish
- Plum Pie Filling:
- Melt butter and pour into large mixing bowl. Stir in sugar, cinnamon and plums.
- Fill the pie crust and bake at 375 degrees for 35-45 minutes