Greek Spinach Pie, Spanakopita with a twist! Kid approved and loved by the whole family!
For Mother’s Day my hubby planned a great day outdoors in the beautiful North Carolina sun. The plan was to take our canoe out and paddle to an island and then enjoy a deliciously homemade picnic lunch (after a delicious breakfast in bed of course! p.s. if you’re going for a Greek theme, these Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins with Greek Yogurt are extra moist and delicious!)The main course of our picnic lunch was Greek Spinach Pie. I have to say, it was sooo good!! Even the kids loved it!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I'll receive a commission if you purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure here.
We baked the Greek Spinach Pie in a glass-bottom baking dish and then placed it in our traveling warmer/cooler carrying case – which worked out perfect! We didn’t eat until several hours after the Spinach Greek Pie was baked but it was still a perfect warm!
This Spinach Greek Pie is really easy to make and can be made the night before and kept in the refrigerator. Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and then layer it lasagna style with the phyllo sheets. Cut into squares and serve!
Greek Spinach Pie Ingredients
- Phyllo dough – also known as puff pastry. A very delicate and thin pastry dough. Often used in Greek dishes
- olive oil – a healthier fat that retains its beneficial properties when cooked or baked with
- onion – adds texture and flavor. Onion adds a rich and subtle sweetness
- spinach – for this pie, I prefer to use frozen spinach. First defrost the spinach by setting out on the counter for several hours until thawed. Once it is no longer frozen, place in a fine mesh strainer and press to excrete all excess water
- ricotta cheese – a white Italian cheese, made of very fine curds
- feta cheese – a soft cheese, cured in a salty brine
- Monterey Jack cheese – a semi-hard, American cheese
- eggs – helps bind all of the ingredients together
- fresh dill – adds a slightly citrus taste
- fresh parsley – a slight hint of pepper, a great herb to add to many dishes
- salt – a seasoning to enhance flavor, add based off of personal preference
- black pepper – like salt, pepper is a seasoning to enhance flavor, add based off of personal preference
Bake and enjoy! These greek spinach squares could easily be turned into little appetizers for a get-together!
Greek Spinach Pie Recipe
Greek Spinach Pie
PHYLLO PASTRY TOPPING
- 1 pkg phyllo pastry (about 17×13-inches each), defrosted
Spinach & Cheese Filling
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 large onion fine chopped
- 1 10oz pkg frozen, chopped spinach defrosted and drained of any excess water
- 2 c ricotta cheese
- 8 oz feta cheese crumbled
- 8 oz Monterery jack cheese grated
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tbs finely chopped fresh dill
- 3 tbs finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Defrost the spinach by setting out on the counter for several hours until thawed. Once it is no longer frozen, place in a fine mesh strainer and press to excrete all excess water
- In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat for about 1 minute. Add the chopped onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes, stirring often. Set aside
- In a large bowl, stir together onion, drained spinach, ricotta, feta, Monterey jack cheese, eggs, dill, parsley, salt and black pepper
- Spread cheese filling in baking dish. Cover with 2 pieces of the phyllo pastry (just tuck the edges in on the sides). Repeat the layering process over and over again until both the cheese filling and phyllo sheets are gone. (similar to layering lasagna)
- Bake until phyllo topping is golden and filling is bubbling gently, about 45 minutes. Use a sharp knife to cut through the marked squares. Serve warm
- Notes: *If covered tightly and refrigerated, this pie can be assembled early in the day and baked later. Cold pot pie will probably need to bake an additional 5 minutes.
Enjoy and give it a try! PIN this image to save for later!
More Delicious & Easy Spinach Recipes
- Lipton Soup Spinach Dip with Hawaiian Bread
- Tortellini Spinach Bake
- Lentil and Spinach Breakfast Bowl
- Grilled Chicken, Toasted Walnuts, Strawberry, Spinach Salad
- Grilled Cheese with Spinach & Tomatoes
- Skillet Gnocchi with Spinach & White Beans
- Spinach Mozzarella Pumpernickel Sandwich
- Super Easy Spinach Artichoke Dip