This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure here.
A fresh and delicious dessert with store bought angel food cake, cool whip and fresh berries. The perfect patriotic dessert for 4th of July or Memorial Day!
Every year for the 4th of July I look forward to making a colorful and patriotic dessert for my family. This usually involves some type of fresh fruit…like my super cute Patriotic American Flag Fruit Pie | 4th of July Dessert. Typically strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries. Mainly because they are red and blue and can make any dessert look festive!
Because I’m a last minute planner, I’m usually scrambling to quickly make something the day of. This results with me not having enough time to bake a dessert that needs ample time to cool before being able to decorate it.
That’s where the store-bought angel food cake comes in! It’s not only delicious, it’s a great time-saving hack so you can spend time with your family rather than being stuck in the kitchen baking!
Angel Food Cake with Cool Whip and Berries Ingredients
Let’s first go over everything you need. Thankfully it’s not much, so you can whip this up in no time at all!
- store bought angel food cake – most bakeries sell an already made angel food cake in the bakery section. I purchased mine at Walmart.
- cool whip topping – this whipped topping will become the “frosting” of the cake. Spread all over the cake just as you would icing a cake. Any brand of whipped topping will do. I used Great Value Whipped Topping.
- fresh berries – using fresh fruit is preferred rather than frozen fruit. Wash fruit and let air dry before placing on the angle food cake.
How To Assemble A Patriotic Angel Fruit Cake
Step 1: Remove whipped topping from the freezer and let thaw. When softened, use a butter knife to stir, making it really fluffy. I suggest stirring until small stiff peaks form on your knife.
Step 2: Remove the angel food cake and place on a cake stand or platter. Spread the whipped topping all over the store bought angel food cake.
Step 3: Wash fresh blueberries, blackberries, raspberries and strawberries. Remove the stems from the strawberries and slice into smaller slivers. Place each fresh fruit in a small bowl to make the decorating easier!
Step 4: Arrange washed berries in a color coordinating pattern.
Step 5: Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
For real friends, it doesn’t get much easier than this! It’s the most simple, easiest, time-savings cake you can make! Plus, it’s super cute and festive!
Who wouldn’t want to devour a piece of this super moist cake?!?
With all the time you saved making this cute cake, you have time for my 5 tips for planning the perfect 4th of July party!
Frequently Asked Questions About Store Bought Angel Food Cake
2 days at room temperature, 1 week in the refrigerator. Regardless of how you will store it, be sure it is sealed in an airtight cake container.
Most likely the angel food cake will come in a plastic cake container. Store the cake in this or in an airtight cake container with handle that can be placed in the refrigerator.
Angel food cake is more fluffy and spongy than regular cake. This is because of the ingredients used to make each cake. Angel food cake is made most often with egg whites and eliminates certain leavened agents.
This is a matter of preference. Most store bought angel food cakes taste great. However, there is always something said to be true about home-baked. The biggest consideration with using a store bought cake verses a homemade cake would be time.
The options are endless when it comes to toppings for angel food cake. Some of the more popular toppings are fruit, chocolate, caramel, bananas, meringue, and more!
The bakery section of your local grocery store.
Yes! You can definitely swap out the cool whipped topping for a can of remade cake frosting. Either frosting type will be delicious! For this particular cake, I would suggest using white frosting or vanilla to go well with the fresh berries and angel food cake flavors.
Angel Food Cake with Berries Recipe
Store Bought Angel Food Cake with Cool Whip and Berries | 4th of July Dessert￼
- 1 butter knife
- 1 store bought Angel Food cake
- 1 8 oz whipped topping
- 1/2 c fresh blueberries
- 1/2 c fresh raspberries
- 1/2 c fresh blackberries
- 1/2 c fresh strawberries stems removed and sliced
- Step 1: Remove whipped topping from the freezer and let thaw. When softened, use a butter knife to stir, making it really fluffy. I suggest stirring until small stiff peaks form on your knife.
- Step 2: Remove the angel food cake and place on a cake stand or platter. Spread the whipped topping all over the store bought angel food cake.
- Step 3: Wash fresh blueberries, blackberries, raspberries and strawberries. Remove the stems from the strawberries and slice into smaller slivers. Place each fresh fruit in a small bowl to make the decorating easier!
- Step 4: Arrange washed berries in a color coordinating pattern.
- Step 5: Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
More Delicious Patriotic Dishes and Desserts
I love making special dishes for my family around the holidays! Here are some of my favorite desserts and dishes for the patriotic American holidays!
- 4th of July Breakfast Muffins – Moist and fluffy easy to make muffins loaded with blueberries and strawberries for a patriotic breakfast for 4th of July!
- 4th of July M&M Cookies – Soft and Chewy M&M Cookies that are filled with delicious chocolate coated candies and a rich buttery taste. Use red and blue M&M and they make the perfect cookie for the 4th Of July!
- Easy Firework Sugar Cookies for 4th of July – Celebrate 4th of July with these easy and delicious firework sugar cookies that take only a few minutes to make!
- BBQ Pork Rind Cheesy Cowboy Casserole – This BBQ Pork Rind Cheesy Cowboy Casserole is the perfect way to add some southern flavors to your next BBQ gathering!
- Patriotic American Flag Fruit Pie | 4th of July Dessert – Red, white and blue! This American Flag fruit pie is the perfect dessert for 4th of July, Memorial Day and Veteran’s Day! Sugar cookie pie crust with whipped topping, blueberries and raspberries make this fruit pie one to remember!