Looking for a cookie cake recipe? Make these delicious cookie cake bars using a boxed cake mix for the batter! Add M&Ms, chocolate chips or sprinkles!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I'll receive a commission if you purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure here.
When my kids were little, we used to bake together all of the time. My little babies and I could have had our own baking show simply making desserts in the kitchen!
One of our favorite recipes to make was a simple cake mix cookie bar recipe that I found on Dear Crissy.
These cookie bars are great for taking to a picnic, playdate or holiday gathering!
Cake Mix Cookie Cake Bar Ingredients
- Boxed cake mix – while traditional cookie cakes call for yellow cake mix, I have made this many of times with white cake mix and it tastes just as amazing
- instant vanilla pudding – a great shortcut ingredient when baking that adds texture and flavor. A small box of instant vanilla pudding, I prefer Jello brand. For this recipe, it is just the powder!
- water – used to thin the batter
- vegetable oil – vegetable oils are best for baking because it has very little flavor but adds a great deal of moisture to your baked goods.
- eggs – when baking, always use room temperature eggs. Be sure to set your eggs out on the counter before you begin to mix your ingredients. Room temperature eggs blend more evenly in batters than eggs straight out of the refrigerator. When baking, also use large-sized eggs.
- M&Ms – adds great flavor and crunch! Change up the colors you use for each holiday!
- chocolate chips – I prefer milk chocolate, but you could certainly add dark chocolate if that is your preference
Alternative Cake Mix Cookie Bar Ingredients
- Chocolate cake mix with chocolate pudding and chocolate chips
- Lemon cake mix with lemon pudding and white chocolate chips
- Funfetti cake mix with vanilla pudding and M&Ms
Cake Mix Cookie Bar Recipe
Here is the recipe for cookie cake bars made with yellow cake mix. If you would like to make an alternative flavor, use the same recipe below, just swap out the cake and pudding mix.
Cake Mix Cookie Cake Bar
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 box instant vanilla pudding small box, 3.4oz
- 1/4 c water
- 3/4 c vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 c M&Ms change the colors for the hoildays!
- 1/2 c chocolate chips milk chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, pudding, water, vegetable oil, eggs and mix on medium speed
- Stir in by hand, M&Ms and chocolate chips
- Pour batter into a greased 9" square pan
- Bake for 20-30 minutes. Stick a toothpick in the middle to ensure the center of the cake has been baked.
Enjoy and give it a try! PIN this image to save for later!