Learn how to create elegant rustic birch bark decor using an old food can, chalk paint, tree bark, glue, and a rubber band with our simple upcycling tutorial. This eco-friendly project transforms everyday items into a charming and unique piece of home decor.
This is the perfect winter crafting project to add to your home decor!
In 2018 we took a road trip a 4,000 mile road trip to the eastern parts of Canada. It was amazing! While we were there, I fell in love with the birch trees. They were just so gorgeous and inviting looking! The soft white tree bark was such a beautiful change of scenery than the regular ol’ brown and green trees! 😂 I was able to bring home two small pieces of bark and just knew that I had to create something beautiful with them!
After racking my brain on what to make, I finally had come up with something! Repurposing canned food cans into decor with the birch bark on the outside!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure here.
How To Attach Birch Bark To A Can
- Dixie Belle paint in the color Drop Cloth
- Dixie Belle paint brush
- E6000 glue
- Birch bark
- rubber bands
- Wash empty canned foods can and remove label
- Dry and then paint with chalk paint. Let dry
3. Apply E6000 glue to the can
4. Attach birch bark to the can
5. Secure the bark to the can using multiple rubber bands
6. Let dry for 24 hours before removing the rubber bands. Once cured, remove the rubber bands and use the cans to decorate!
7. Once dry, remove rubber bands and have fun decorating with the birch cans!!
Unfortunately I don’t know what happened to the photos of the after without rubber bands! HAHA! So you have to use your imagination for this one! But, I’ll tell you this, they looked really pretty styled with greenery on my mantle for winter.
More Easy DIY Projects!
- Inexpensive and Easy to Make Christmas Crafts
- Crafting Holiday Cheer: A Guide to Creating Hand-Painted Wooden Gingerbread Boys