The best no fail, 3 ingredient royal icing recipe for decorating sugar cookies.
I love to make homemade sugar cookies and decorate them all fancy and personalized for all of my kiddos various events (I’m an overachiever in that way!) They are super easy to make and usually a big hit!
I’ve written a FULL tutorial of Everything You Need To Know About Royal Icing from what royal icing is used for, how to use it, how it compares to other frostings, and more!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I'll receive a commission if you purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure here.
Royal icing is really easy to make but can definitely be intimidating when you are not sure how the process goes. So lets make this no fail, 3 ingredient royal icing recipe together!
NOTES: The images I show below are with cream of tartar. I have recently switched to using 1/2tsp of vanilla extra in place of cream of tartar.
SUGAR COOKIES: I use my mom’s sugar cookie recipe which is my most favorite! Roll out thinner and bake at 400 degrees for crispier sugar cookies or roll thicker and bake at 350 degrees for more soft and fluffy sugar cookies!
This post contains affiliate links. See my disclosure here.
- egg whites
- confectioners sugar (powdered sugar)
- cream of tartar or vanilla extract
- food coloring (optional)
1. Separate egg whites from yolks. Discard egg yolks and put egg whites in a mixing bowl. Measure out 3 ounces (typically around 3 eggs)
2. Mix/whip with hand held mixer with whisk attachment until light and fluffy
4. Add 4 cups powdered sugar
5. Mix/whip until you reach a toothpaste-like consistency
6. If making colored royal icing, now is the time to add your food coloring. **a little goes a long way so start by adding a few drops at a time and then mixing. Add more food coloring as needed
7. Using handheld mixer, blend food coloring into the royal icing
8. Scoop icing into decorating bags (I prefer the reusable Wilton Piping Bags like these) and with your decorator tip of choice, pipe around the outline of your cookie and then fill the inside
9. Have fun getting creative!!
Decorating with royal icing can be super fun! The creative possibilities are endless! I have a whole Pinterest board with sugar cookie decorating ideas! Come follow along for great inspiration!
Baseball cookies for my little man’s birthday!!
Royal Icing Recipe
- 3 oz egg whites
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract can use clear vanilla extract if desired
- 4 c powdered sugar
- Separate egg whites from yolks. Place egg whites into a mixing bowl
- Mix eggs until fluffy and airy
- Add in vanilla extract
- Mix in powdered sugar
- Mix until icing reaching a consistency of toothpaste *don't over mix