DIY Wood Floor Cleaner *safe, non-toxic, easy and cheap!

Hey Guys!

Sorry I’ve been a little MIA this past week – 3rd trimester is kicking my booty! :-( This is my 3rd pregnancy, 3rd trimester and I’m ready to throw the towel in. I can’t stand being so sick, sore and crabby…yet at the same time I’m beyond thankful that I have been blessed to be able to have children of my own without any trouble. **big time blessing!**

With only 8 .5 weeks until the little peanut is due, and all of our out-of-state guests gone, I’m in full cleaning mode to get ready! (honesty, this will probably only last for a few days, so I better capitalize on it while I’m in the mood!)

Today I’m going to share with you a wood floor cleaner that I’ve been making since I was pregnant with my first kiddo (who is now 4.5 years old…wahhh!!) Lover Boy and I had installed light colored laminate wood flooring in our first home and with three dogs it was easy to see their drool marks from their water bowl. We had been using Melaleuca’s cleaners for a couple of years before this but they did/do not sell a wood floor cleaner. So, I got busy on Google (this was before the big wave of blogs and Pinterest) and started searching for a safe homemade cleaner. I remember looking at several recipes and decided to make the one with the least amount of ingredients…and ones that I had on hand. I have been using this for almost 5 years now and have been pleased ever since!

wood floor cleaner

What You Need:

-empty spray bottle

-rubbing alcohol

-vinegar

-water (it doesn’t not have to be bottled water…I only used this jug for picture purposes)

How You Make It:

-in spray bottle fill 1/3rd rubbing alcohol, 1/3rd vinegar and 1/3rd water (in other words – equal parts of each ingredient)

How To Use It:

-spray in medium sized sections on the floor and use a soft cloth mop to wipe it up! No extra water needed!

*It’s super easy, cheap, safe and leaves your house smelling really fresh!

**I have now used this homemade wood floor cleaner in all three of our houses on laminate, engineered hardwood and solid hardwood flooring and it’s worked great on all of them!

I hope you guys will enjoy this homemade wood floor cleaner and enjoy the benefits of non-toxic cleaning!

I’d love it if you would PIN this recipe and LIKE me on Facebook!!

Check out my DIY Grout Cleaner:

grout2

photo Screenshot2013-02-13at93841AM_zpsc3476c69.png
DIY Chevron Burlap Wreath Tutorial

Thanks so much for stopping by and I’d love for you to PIN this and like me on facebook!
 photo eb2082ff-b3a8-4379-b2b4-393f834e0b54_zps979e9eed.jpg
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tagged: , , , , , , , ,

Comments: 18

1. Becky June 5, 2013 at 4:48 pm Reply

I actually contacted a friend of mine who has been a pro floor installer for years. they said the only kind of thing they usually recommend is actually water and vinegar, but when I asked about the alcohol he said as long as you are using equal parts he see’s nothing wrong with it. And also the key, like you said is not to over saturate!!! Well Im off to go mop, seriously, with this reciepe! Wish me luck, Im at the end of my rope with these floors lol

• Stephanie June 6, 2013 at 8:58 am

Good luck!! I hope your floors sparkle!! :-)

2. nyc2dc August 3, 2013 at 12:33 pm Reply

doesn’t the alcohol dry out the wood?

• Stephanie August 6, 2013 at 1:49 pm

I haven’t had any issues of the alcohol drying out the wood with the laminate, engineered hard wood and regular hardwood floors! :-)

3. 4HungryBunnies August 29, 2013 at 9:01 pm Reply

Since my family doesn’t handle vinegar well because it’s made from corn I try not to use white vinegar in places where we would come in contact with it. Do you think it would work just as well with apple cider vinegar or could I just use lemon juice instead?

• Stephanie August 29, 2013 at 10:26 pm

hmmm…honestly I do not know. I would try both and see which one works better! Good luck! I’d love to hear what you find out!

4. […] If you liked this post please check out my natural, safe, non toxic homemade wood floor cleaner HERE! […]

5. Jan May 21, 2014 at 10:30 pm Reply

Were/are your floors waxed or polyurethaned?

• Stephanie May 23, 2014 at 7:30 pm

Yes – 8 years ago

6. Brook June 23, 2014 at 2:56 pm Reply

Could I use this on my quartz counter tops?

• Stephanie July 2, 2014 at 7:11 am

I use it on my granite and it works great … but just to be safe you might want to contact a quartz dealer and ask-wouldn’t want to harm the glossy finish

7. Teri September 4, 2014 at 2:05 pm Reply

I use the wintergreen scented rubbing alcohol in this recipe! It makes everything (hardwood floors, kitchen tile, granite countertops) smell SO good!
    Teri recently posted…Carlie’s 2.25 year update!My Profile

8. MaryLou White September 17, 2014 at 11:17 pm Reply

I use Vinegar and water for just about everything that needs to be cleaned. My mop has a sprayer bottle connected to it so I just pull the handle to squirt out some solution. My floors always look awesome but I’m not crazy about the smell of vinegar. Vinegar and water (half and half) is also a great cleaner for dentures. Use it to wash windows, wipe down my counters, and you name it. I don’t use any commercial cleaners. Not sure I’d want to add alcohol to the mix though.

9. Char De Groot September 20, 2014 at 4:33 am Reply

About using vinegar, I used vinegar and equal part of mouth wash in a load of clothes that had been salvaged from a fire. That really takes the smell out of the clothes. Even if you like a nice fire outside and your clothes take on that smokey smell. Just thought I would mention also that it is a good cleaner for walls when you have a smoker in the house. Thanks for the tips.

10. Engineered Wood Floor October 10, 2014 at 7:09 am Reply

Wood Floor Cleaner? Wow! This is really nice… which can be helpful in some or the other way. Keep updating the blog, looking forward for more contents…Great job, keep it up..

11. […] Gathered In The Kitchen – DIY Wood Floor Cleaner (Safe, Non-Toxic, Easy and Cheap!) […]

12. […] Gathered In The Kitchen – DIY Wood Floor Cleaner (Safe, Non-Toxic, Easy and Cheap!) […]