Sweet & Salty Trail Mix – Perfect for Traveling
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure here.
Trail mix is one of the most versatile and packable snacks you can take along on any trip that is loaded with protein, the healthy fats and satisfies your sweet tooth leaving you ready to tackle your next adventure!
It’s no secret that our family loves traveling and camping! We just got home from a 4,000+ mile road trip to the Gaspésie Peninsula in Québec, Canada so I’m sharing all of our hacks and tricks of the trade now that I’m restlessly sitting at home wishing we were still on our 16 day adventure. I shared lots of these great tips in a news segment on WBTV News!
One of my most favorite snacks to pack is trail mix. I’m definitely a sweets lover and my hubby is a salty lover…so a sweet and salty trail mix is always sitting on the console between us as we travel down the road!
Lets Make It Together!
Sweet & Salty Trail Mix Ingredients
I like sweet…so there’s lots of yumminess in this trail mix!
- Chocolate coated candies – I prefer to use M&M’s milk chocolate candies
- Mixed nuts – you can use any kind of nuts you prefer, however, I love the combination taste of the Planters mixed nuts added to this trail mix
- Sunflower seeds – use sunflower seeds that are roasted and shelled. I use roasted and salted sunflower seeds, because of course, the little bit of salt from the sunflower seeds goes great with the sweetness of the other ingredients
- Cranberries – use sweetened dried cranberries. These cranberries add a great burst of tangy flavor to the mix.
- Chocolate covered pretzels – any brand will do, but my favorite is Flipz Milk Chocolate Covered Pretzels
Gather your ingredients and just mix together in a bowl!
Mixed nuts and sunflower seeds are high in protein giving you lasting energy rather than fast crashing energy…leave that to the M&Ms and Flipz, lol!
Spoon the mix into a mason jar using a wide mouth funnel and seal it with a plastic reusable mason jar lid.
Try not to eat it all!
This sweet and salty trail mix packs perfectly and is great for camping!
- 1 large can mixed nuts
- 1 cup regular M&Ms
- 1/2 bag Flips chocolate covered pretzels
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup salted sunflower seeds
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and then serve
Watch me share this recipe on WBTV along with lots of my camping and hiking tips!
This sweet and salty trail mix also makes the perfect side side dish for your next holiday party or get together. I personally like to buy the red and green M&Ms and make a Christmas trail mix and the red, white and blue M&M mixes for trail mix for 4th of July.
More Delicious Camping Approved Recipes
Rainbow Fruit Kabobs – These colorful and delicious fruit kabobs make the perfect classroom snack or St. Patrick’s Day snack that is healthy and fun!
Banana Split Kabob Sticks – Banana Split Sticks are a fun twist on the traditional banana split, only healthier and more portable! The strawberry, pineapple, banana and marshmallow covered in chocolate and peanuts on a stick make the perfect grab-and-go treat for summertime, picnics and parties!
Classic 5 Ingredient Sloppy Joes Recipe – Ground beef, green pepper, onion, brown sugar, ketchup make up these deliciously easy, tried and true Sloppy Joes, that everyone will love!