This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure here.
How to update a lamp shade and take it from drab to fab! Don’t spend tons of money on fancy designer lampshades – pick one up at the thrift store and recover it with these 6 simple steps!
How many times have you walked into Goodwill and looked at a lamp and thought “man that “could” be a cute lamp but didn’t know how to make it cute? Or think I’m not sure how to recover a lampshade? I used to do it all of the time until now!! I found this gold floor lamp with lampshade for only $5.99!! I just had to buy it! I brought it home and my husband said “where the heck did you get that ugly thing? I hope you didn’t pay for it!” – bahaha, oh the joys of husbands 🙂
I’ll be honest, it was sitting in place for 2 months until I had a moment to redo it! …and now I’m in love!! What do you guys think?
Let me show you how I made it!
-Spray Paint of Choice, I like this one
–Hot glue gun (needed for bias tape)
-Fabric of Choice
–Bias Tape (be sure to choose a color that matches well with your fabric)
- Start by removing your lampshade from the lamp
- Remove the current bias tape (if there is any) and the fabric
- Use the fabric you pulled off as your pattern for the new cover
- Cut out new fabric
- Spray glue the fabric on the wrong side and adhere it to the lampshade. Trim with scissors where necessary
- Attach bias tape with glue (may use hot glue if it’s too difficult with the spray glue
- Spray paint lamp and allow to dry (optional, if changing lamp color)
Ta Da!! So easy huh?!?!?!
Do you guys love it as much as I do? You can choose whatever fabric you want and the possibilities are endless!!! There are no longer any excuses for ugly lamps!!
Be sure to PIN this tutorial!