South Carolina offers a huge tax break incentive to shoppers every year before school starts back. Shoppers travel from multiple states to snag up these great deal – some of which you might be surprised about! If you’re planning a wedding or would like to freshen up the look of your home and bath, you might just be in luck!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I'll receive a commission if you purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure here.
How Much Money Will You Save?
South Carolina’s state tax rate is 6% of which is exempt during tax exempt weekend.
In addition to the state tax, there is often times a local city or county tax, which is also exempt during this tax free weekend.
What Items Qualify for Tax Exemptions?
I like to break it into 3 different categories: school supplies & technology, clothing and dorm & home. For a more comprehensive list visit here.
SCHOOL SUPPLIES & TECHNOLOGY:
- Blue books
- Computer software
- Ink cartridges
- Daily planners or organizers
- Musical instruments
- School uniforms
- Sport uniforms
- Belts and suspenders
- Hair accessories
- Hats, earmuffs, mittens and scarves
- Purses and handbags
- Ties and bow ties
- Aerobic and athletic clothing
- Bathing suits and trunks
- Leotards and tights
- Riding pants
- Ski boots, masks and suits
- Coats and jackets
- Hunting vests, waders and leg warmers
- Gloves: batting, bicycle, dress, garden, golf, tennis and ski
- Baby bibs
- Bridal gowns and veils
- Formal clothing (gowns, suits, tuxedos)
- Graduation caps and gowns
- Diapers for children
- Boots, shoes, sneakers, slippers
- Skates (in-line, ice and roller
- Bras, corsets, pantyhose, etc
DORM ROOM & HOME:
- Bath mags and rugs
- Bath washcloths and towels
- Shower curtains and liners
- Bed comforters and sets, duvets and covers, bed skirts and dust ruffles
- Bed sheets and sheet sets
- Mattress pads and toppers
WBTV News Coverage!
Micah Smith from WBTV Charlotte and I have put together a feature segment that will air live on WBTV on Thursday. As soon as it’s available, I’ll update with the video footage! Here is a little sneak peek from the footage we shot at my local Wal-Mart.
Here’s the actual TV segment footage:
Plan A Day or Weekend Trip to South Carolina
If you do not live in South Carolina, make the most of the tax free exemption by traveling down and use your savings to visit some of South Carolina’s greatest attractions such as Carowinds amusement park or my all-time favorite zoo, Riverbanks Zoo or EdVenture learning center for kids or even go for a kayak trip down the Saluda River! As a previous resident of South Carolina, I assure you there are many things to do and you won’t be disappointed!