This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure here.
This homemade eggnog is the best tasting and most easy to make recipe! A holiday recipe that will easily become a family tradition at your household!
I never used to like eggnog until one year in college my sweet fiancé made me homemade eggnog with a family recipe passed down from his mom. Since then I have been a huge fan but am really picky and have a hard time finding one I like. I don’t want it too thick, too egg-y tasting, too cinnamon-y tasting…and the list goes on. I know, I’m hard to please! Ha! However, this is the best tasting and easy to make homemade eggnog. A holiday recipe that will easily become a family tradition at your household! Sip on it for breakfast with my Christmas Casserole or have it later in the day with Melting Snowman Cookies! or Snowball Cookies (aka Mexican wedding cookies)
This is how I made it!
Homemade Eggnog Recipe
- Separate egg yolks and whites into separate bowls
- Beat sugar into egg yolks
- Add salt; stir in milk
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly till mixture coats spoon
- Let cool
- Beat egg whites in separate bowl until till foamy
- Gradually add 3 Tablespoons sugar, beating to soft peaks
- Add to custard and mix thoroughly
- Add vanilla and stir
- Pour eggnog through a fine mesh strainer to remove any egg chunks
- Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator to cool (about 4 hours) before serving
- Add alcohol of choice before serving
- Serve topped with whipped cream and nutmeg, optional