This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure here.
- Difficulty falling asleep
- Waking up often during the night and having trouble going back to sleep
- Waking up too early in the morning
- Feeling tired upon waking
Welp!! I have child induced insomnia!! HA! Literally, all of us parents probably experience this at some point in time or another. For me personally, my kids don’t sleep through the night very well…they all end up in our bed at some point. Let me tell you how comfy it is with 5 people in a king bed, lol!
Types of Insomnia
There are two types of insomnia: primary insomnia and secondary insomnia.
- Primary insomnia: Primary insomnia means that a person is having sleep problems that are not directly associated with any other health condition or problem.
- Secondary insomnia: Secondary insomnia means that a person is having sleep problems because of something else, such as a health condition (like asthma, depression, arthritis, cancer, or heartburn); pain; medication they are taking; or a substance they are using (like alcohol). (source)
If you’re a woman and have ever been pregnant, I bet you’ve experienced secondary insomnia – waking up a million times to go to the bathroom and simply being just.so.uncomfortable towards the end of pregnancy!
There are so many sleep medications out there – but there are many side effects that accompany those medications:
As a holistic alternative to the classic over the counter or even prescription sleep medications, is Shaklee’s Gentle Sleep Complex: (update: now replaced with Dream Serene)
- Improves the quality of sleep
- Relaxing effect
- Reduces anxiety
- Relieves tension and restlessness
- Stabilizes irregular heart rhythm
- Lowers blood pressure
- Anti-aggressive properties
- Improves childhood behavioral disorders
- Helps menstrual cramps
- Rheumatic Pain
- Intestinal colic and gas pains
- Migraine headaches
- Restless legs
Here’s to happy, restful sleeping!!
This post correlates with my A-Z Blogging Challenge:
A is for ADD / ADHD
B is for Breastfeeding
D is for Diabetes & Obesity
E is for Eczema
F is for Fertility
G is for Growing Pains
H is for Headaches and Migraines
I is for Insomnia
J is for Joint Pain