Looking for creative and delicious ways to use up some of your sourdough discard? This pizza crust recipe is the perfect fit! Use 3/4 cup sourdough discard to create two hand-tossed homemade pizza crusts.
If there’s one thing to be known about me, it’s that I’m not a planner. I truly have no desired to plan my meals ahead of time, nor am I organized enough to plan our meals ahead of time, even if I wanted to! ha!
Years ago, back in January 2011, one of my very first blog posts was for Homemade Pizza Dough. I sincerely remember this day. I wanted to make homemade pizza with my two little kiddos at the time, but I kept finding recipes that called for the yeast dough to double in size…which took hours! I had no idea that you had to let pizza dough rise before you could bake with it.
I absolutely did not have hours to let dough rise, so I tried my darndest to find a recipe for pizza dough that could be made and then baked right away. Well…let me tell you, back in 2011, the internet was no where what it is today, and I could not find a recipe that said “bake now!” So… I decided to just try my own hand at it and make up a pizza dough recipe based off of all of the ones I could find online.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure here.
To my surprise, that yeast pizza dough recipe is still a family favorite. We make it all of the time at our house and it’s so good every.single.time! … but… if you’ve been following along lately, you’ve seen that I’ve been posting a lot of sourdough recipes. So, naturally, I wanted to see if I could adapt my original yeast recipe for sourdough pizza dough.
And guess what?!??! It worked and tasted sooo good! I’m so excited to share this new recipe with you all! To top it off, the first thing that sweet little baby who is now 13 said to me was “let me guess, this is sourdough. That’s all we’ve been able to eat for the past month!” hahaha! But guess what? He loved it!
Hand-Tossed Sourdough Discard Pizza Crust
- In a stand mixing bowl, combine sourdough discard and warm water. Combine with a dough hook
- Add sugar, salt, and olive oil. Combine again with the dough hook
- Slowly add in 2 cups of all-purpose flour until all of the flour has been incorporated and a nice ball has formed in the bowl
- Place in a warm spot (I put mine in my oven with only the oven light turned on). Be sure to cover with a wet tea towel to ensure that the dough does not dry out
- Once the dough has warmed for about 25-30 minutes (your dough will not double in size), place on a lightly floured surface and cut in half to create two doughs.
- Roll out dough to form a pizza crust and bake with sauce and toppings at 425°F for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown and all ingredients are cooked
Let’s Make It Together!
Sourdough Discard Pizza Dough
- Sourdough discard – to learn more about sourdough discard, check out my post for How To Store & Keep Sourdough Starter Discard | aka Inactive Starter
- In a mixing bowl, combine water and sourdough starter
- Add olive oil, sugar and salt. Use a dough hook to combine
- Slowly add flour and mix until combined and dough is slightly glossy
- Place dough in a greased bowl
- Cover and let rest in a warm space until doubled in size (an option for this is to place it in the oven with ONLY the oven light on. Do not turn the oven on)
Form The Pizza Dough
7. Once dough has doubled, place it on a lightly floured surface and knead for about 30 seconds
8. Cut dough in half – this recipe makes 2 pizza crusts
9. Shape pizza dough to fit a pizza pan
10. Ladle pizza sauce onto the dough (I highly recommend using my Vitamix Pizza Sauce recipe! It’s amazing and can be made even if you don’t have a Vitamix)
11. Sprinkle with a generous amount of mozzarella cheese
12. Bake in a 425°F oven for 15-17 minutes, or until done
Our entire family loved these homemade pizzas…and I was happy to use up 3/4 cup of my sourdough discard! The crusts were the thickness of a hand-tossed pizza from a pizza shop! Perfect!!
More Delicious Sourdough Discard Recipes
- Sourdough Discard Pie Crust Recipe
- Sourdough Starter Discard Chocolate Chip Scones
- Sourdough Starter Discard Waffles Recipe
- Sourdough Starter Discard Pancake Recipe
Be sure to save and PIN this recipe to make it later!