German Chocolate Cake Balls
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure here.
Make these delicious German Chocolate Cake Balls using a boxed cake mix, can of store-bought frosting and coconut flakes.
My son had a school project that was based upon your heritage origin. You bring in a dish of your choice to share with the class to teach them about different cultures around the world (it’s by far the coolest unit to me!) We are mostly German so we chose to bring in a German dish. However, I did not know about this project until the day it was due when I found the paper because I had been out of town the week it was assigned getting our new 1886 Victorian home ready for us to move up to by doing some painting projects. But because his teachers are beyond amazing!! (I certainly am going to miss them) they said I could bring it in later in the week (apparently there was a schedule for the week breaking up the number of dishes that came in each day).
Although I was off the hook for the moment, I had a huge amount of mom guilt that set in because when my daughter was in 2nd grade (with these same teachers) she and I made this amazingly beautiful German Black Forest Cake. So rather than buying a German Chocolate Cake from the grocery store, I had my son research German recipes online for something to make. He found German Chocolate Cake Balls and immediately decided that was what he wanted to make!
After looking over the recipe he sent me, I ran to our local grocery store and picked up all of the ingredients needed.
This post includes affiliate links. See my disclosure here.
German Chocolate Cake Ball Ingredients
- 1 box of German Chocolate Cake mix or brownie mix
- 1 can of Coconut Pecan frosting
- 1 c water
- 1/3 c vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- melting chocolate
- shredded coconut
How To Make German Chocolate Cake Balls
- Prepare and bake cake mix according to box on a sheet pan
- Allow cake to cool
- Using a fork completely crumble cake
- Place crumbled cake into a bowl
- Add 1 can of coconut pecan frosting to the cake and mix together
- Form into 1″ balls and place on a cookie sheet
- Freeze for 10 minutes to 24 hours
- Melt chocolate (add a very small amount of vegetable oil if you need to thin the chocolate)
- Dip cake balls one by one into the melted dipping chocolate
- Using a slated spoon allow excess chocolate to drip off
- Place on cookie sheet with parchment paper and immediately top with shredded coconut
- Let harden
- Add wooden skewers if desired
This recipe is essentially a spin-off of the traditional cake pops – a dipped cake ball on a stick! I loved that they were so easy to make and were way less time consuming that I had thought they would be. Not to mention that they were absolutely delicious! My son said everyone in his class loved them!
We added wooden skewers to our to make it easier to share with his class. I refrigerated them overnight in a disposable container with a lid and in the morning we grabbed them on our way out the door!
Can’t wait to try the chocolate coconut cake balls will get the needed items tomorrow and make them.