I absolutely love spaghetti. It’s one of my comfort foods. I mean hello, who doesn’t want a big ol’ plate of saucey pasta?!? As much as I love pasta I’m just as picky about it. I don’t like jarred spaghetti sauce so I’ve tried making it dozens of times. Sometimes it would be spoon lickin’ good and sometimes it would be so gross I wouldn’t want me dogs to eat it!
But….I’ve got such great news! I’ve finally figured out the absolute best sauce! And guess what? It doesn’t include any dried seasonings!! (something I used to put waaaay to much of in). In fact, it’s only 8 ingredients total! It’s so so easy to make and is SO SO good!! My kids and hubby love it – so right there you know it’s got to be good!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I'll receive a commission if you purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure here.
Let me show you how to make it so that you can impress your family with the “best dinner ever!!”
In a large dutch oven brown half a tube of Jimmy Dean Regular Sausage
Dice 1 large carrot, 1 large onion and 5 large garlic cloves
Add onions and carrots to the dutch oven and heat until softened
Using a microplane add your garlic and heat until fragrant
Add crushed tomatoes
Add diced tomatoes and cover with lid.
Add chicken broth to your can of crushed tomatoes (about 1/4c) and swish around to remove the extra sauce along the inside of the can. Add to dutch oven. Cover with lid and simmer for about 45 minutes for the quick version.
**I prefer to cover with lid and bring to a boil. Then I reduce the heat to a low/medium and cook for around 3 hours, stirring occasionally. This slow cooking process helps break down the tomatoes and rids the overpowering acidic taste of canned tomatoes
Using fresh basil rip off a large handful and tear into pieces and add to sauce
Stir into sauce. Let simmer for another 10 minutes and then serve
Serve over a big ol’ bowl of spaghetti noodles or even better yet, spaghetti squash!
8 Ingredient Spaghetti Sauce
- 1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 14oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tube Jimmy Dean Regular Sausage
- 1/4 c chicken broth
- 1 large onion
- 1 large carrot
- 5 garlic cloves
- large handful of fresh basil
- In a large dutch oven brown sausage
- Add diced onion and carrots, cook until translucent
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant
- Add crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes and chicken broth
- Cover and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat to low and cook for around 3 hours. Stirring occasionally
- **you can cook at a higher temp, a low rumble boil, for 45 minutes to cook faster. However, the slow cooking process I prefer, helps break down the tomatoes and rids the overpowering acidic taste of canned tomatoes
- Add in handful of fresh basil and simmer for another 10 minutes
- Serve and enjoy!