This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure here.
OK, who else’s weather is going haywire right now?!?! I know ours is! Holy smoly on Wednesday we were doing this…
Hanging out at the beach! Now today we are all snuggled on the couch with long sleeves and pants with colds! It’s 73 degrees and feels freezing! Geez!
Last night was our last meal with my family because they all headed home this morning. With the weather turning I decided to make a thick, creamy, hot soup! A few days before while shopping at Publix I picked up one of their seasonal magazines that featured several recipes. One of them being Cheddar & Potato Soup.
Hello!?!?! Has anyone else been on the hunt for a good Potato Soup recipe? I know I have…for years! Every recipe I try always turns out nasty and always ends up going to waste because Lover Boy and I don’t like it. But I had an inkling that this recipe would be good because anything from “Publix’s Recipe Box” is always amazing! And it was! Oh my goodess was it ever good!
Every single one of my family members said that it was better than Panera’s Baked Potato Soup…and if you know my family Panera is one of the two restaurants that they go to (Portillo’s being the second). Both of my parents always always always gets the Baked Potato soup at Panera so if they said it was better than I will take their word for it.
So do I have your mouth totally watering yet?!? I hope so! Because you really need to try this recipe!
How To Make Potato Cheddar Soup
Start by cooking in the microwave 4 large baking potatoes. Peel and dice
Melt 1/2c butter in a big pot (I used my favorite Emile Henry 4.2 quart Dutch Oven) over low heat
Add 1/2c flour
Add the potatoes and onions, stirring occassionally, until soup begins to bubble. Reduce heat, simmer gently for 10 minutes
Add in 2c grated cheddar cheese
Dish up and devour!!! I topped the soup with more green onions and grated cheese!
You will want to print, frame and hang in your kitchen because it is sooo good!
Potato Cheddar Soup
- Start by cooking in the microwave 4 large baking potatoes. Peel and dice
In A Large Stock Pot
- Melt butter in a big pot (I used my favorite Emile Henry 4.2 quart Dutch Oven) over low heat
- Add flour. Whisk together until smooth and bubbly. Cook mixture for 2-3 minutes
- Increase heat to medium and gradually whisk in milk (I used 2%)l. Cook until slightly thickened, about 14 minutes
- Dice up four green onions
- Cook 12 pieces of bacon. I cooked mine in the microwave on my bacon tray (it took two rounds). Crumble bacon once it's cooked
- Add the potatoes and onions, stirring occassionally, until soup begins to bubble. Reduce heat, simmer gently for 10 minutes
- Stir in bacon and sour cream to the potato soup (I aslo added in 2tbs of bacon grease…mmm!)
- Add in grated cheddar cheese
- Dish up and devour!!! I topped the soup with more green onions and grated cheese!