The other night I made these Baked Eggplants with Pasta, however, I prefer to call them Eggplant Boats. 🙂 To make they were really simple, however, the recipe I had made WAY too much. If I make these again I would only make half of what the recipe calls for. We ended up with lots of leftovers.
Pardon my wonky photos…I’m kind of having fun putting them into little slider looking boxes!
|Baked Eggplant with Pasta||
- 8oz penne or other short pasta shapes
- 4tbs olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 2 eggplant
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 14oz can chopped tomatoes
- 2tsp dried oregano
- 2oz mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/3c freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2tbs dry breadcrumbs
- salt & pepper
- salad greens to serve
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bring pot of salted water to boil. Add pasta and 1tbs of olive oil and cook until tender. Drain and keep warm.
- Cut the eggplant in half lengthwise and score around the inside, being careful not to pierce the shells. Scoop out the flesh with a spoon. Brush the insides of the shells with olive oil. Chop the flesh and set aside.
- Saute the onion in the remaining oil until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the chopped eggplant and cook for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and oregano and season to taste. Bring to a boil and simmer until thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the pasta.
- Brush a cookie sheet with oil and arrange the eggplant shells in a single layer. Divide half the tomato and pasta mixture between them. Sprinkle the mozzarella on, then pile the remaining tomato and pasta mixture on top. Mix the Parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs together and sprinkle over the top.
- Bake in oven at 400 degrees for 25 minutes, until the topping is golden brown. Serve hot with salad greens.