These delicious calzones are made from homemade pastry dough and stuffed with browned ground beef, pepperoni, vegetables, and cheese.
Yesterday afternoon Little Finch and I made pastry dough in hopes to use it with something for dinner. After looking around the fridge I decided on making something similar to a calzone. I had several bits of veggies left over from other meals and needed to use them before they went bad. I also had some mini pepperoni slices from a pizza we had made a while ago. The great thing about these is that you can add in whatever you like or have laying around the kitchen (preferably not your children or their fifty million toys though). I made these calzones personal size rather than a whole pie because Lover Boy doesn’t like all of the veggies I like. Also, rather than making your own dough you can buy already made pie crusts that you just roll out and cut to the size you need.
Check out these 25 Ground Beef Dinner Ideas!
- pastry dough – for this recipe I made homemade pastry dough using my Julia Child’s Pastry Dough recipe
- ground beef – I prefer to use 90% fat or less for calzones
- seasonings: black pepper, crushed red pepper, Italian, garlic salt and parsley
- green bell pepper – if you’re not a fan of bell peppers, feel free to leave them out
- mozzarella cheese – while I used shredded cheese, the most convenient way to fill calzones is with sliced cheese! Yep, sliced cheese – just like some of the deep-dish pizza shops in Chicago do!
- red onions – optional, feel free to leave out
- fresh spinach – optional, feel free to leave out
Let’s Make Calzones Together!
To start off, you will need to make the pastry dough ahead of time. Check out my post for Julia Child’s Pastry Dough
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure here.
Step 1: Brown ground beef in a skillet
Step 2: Season ground beef with seasonings
Black pepper, crushed red pepper, Italian, garlic salt and parsley
Step 3: Add diced tomatoes to ground beef mixture
Stir in the tomatoes and then turn off heat and let sit until ready to use
Step 4: Prepare your other calzone filling items
I used green bell peppers, red onion, spinach and mini pepperoni
Step 5: Mix toppings together
In a large bowl, mix together ground beef, pepperoni and vegetables
Step 6: Roll out pastry dough
Make as big or small as you’d like, it doesn’t have to be perfect!
Step 7: Fill pastry dough with meat, vegetables and cheese
I would recommend using mozzarella cheese, however, I only have shredded cheddar cheese
Step 8: Roll pastry dough edges inward and pinch shut
Step 9: Bake
Place on baking sheet and put in oven at 400 degrees. Bake until brown on top, about 20-25 min
Remove form the oven and enjoy!!
As always let me know what you think of this if you give it a try!
Homemade Calzones with Ground Beef and Pepperoni
- pastry dough
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/8 c red onions
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp parsley
- 1/2 c pepperoni slices
- 1 c mozzarella cheese
- Brown ground beef in a skillet
- Season ground beef with seasonings: black pepper, crushed red pepper, Italian, garlic salt and parsley
- Add diced tomatoes to ground beef mixture. Stir in the tomatoes and then turn off heat and let sit until ready to use
- Prepare your other calzone filling items. I used green bell peppers, red onion, spinach and mini pepperoni
- In a large bowl, mix together ground beef, pepperoni and vegetables
- Roll out pastry dough. Make as big or small as you’d like, it doesn’t have to be perfect!
- Fill pastry dough with meat, vegetables and cheese
- Roll pastry dough edges inward and pinch shut
- Place on baking sheet and put in oven at 400 degrees. Bake until brown on top, about 20-25 min