PIN these cookies now to save for later!
My son and I recently made these adorable Melting Snowman Cookies and we used the same recipe except I rolled the dough much thinner.
Oddly enough, these Lofthouse Sugar Cookies have sour cream in them! I have never heard of sour cream being in cookies! But I’ll tell you, they are delicious!
I love that you can decorate these any way you want! The possibilities are endless!
My kids and I enjoyed decorating them with our Christmas themed sprinkles. The icing is homemade as well and is really rather easy to make. The recipe for my Royal Frosting is included below.
- SUGAR COOKIES:
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- ¾ cups sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature (I used Pete & Gerry's Organic eggs)
- ½ cup sour cream, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ROYAL FROSTING:
- 2lb confectioners sugar
- 5 egg whites
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- SUGAR COOKIES:
- Beat butter and sugar on medium-high speed until nice and fluffy.
- Add egg, beat until incorporated.
- Reduce speed to low and and sour cream and vanilla and beat, until well combined, scraping down the bowl with a silicone spatula.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour. baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix just until combined. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface with a rolling pin to a ⅓" thickness, cut out circles with wide mouth mason jar lid or circle cookie cutter
- Bake at 375° F for 6-8 minutes depending on thickness of cookie
- ROYAL ICING:
- Separate egg whites in a separate small bowl
- Add confectioners sugar and cream of tartar to mixer, turn on, using paddle attachment and slowly
- add egg whites.
- Beat slowly (you do not want to let it become filled with air bubbles) for 1-2 minutes until well incorporated, scraping down sides with silicone spatula when needed.
- Cover with a damp towel until ready to use
You May Also Like…
Thanks for stopping by! I'd love for you to FOLLOW ME!!