I love Christmas morning! The kids waking up and being so excited to open their gifts is one of the most special times of the year. But lets get real, who likes to interrupt the fun to make breakfast? Not me! And being someone who doesn’t do the best of jobs planning I always end up last minute making one of my go-to breakfast recipes: 1) Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins 2) Blueberry Muffins 3) Chocolate Chip Pancakes 4) Puffy Pancakes or 5) Popovers from Maine. But this year I’m already ahead and have the absolute best and easiest breakfast planned! Christmas Morning Breakfast Casserole!! It uses all of the staples in your kitchen: eggs, milk, cheese, bread and meat of your choice (optional). And even better, you can make it the morning of or you can make it the night before and stick in the refrigerator and bake in the morning.
This Christmas casserole really is so yummy and the entire family loves it! I halved the recipe and baked it in a 9″ square pan but you can double the recipe (listed below) to fill a 9×13 pan to feed a large crowd or to have more to munch on while opening gifts!
Here’s the recipe!
- 1 lb ground sausage (Jimmy Dean Regular)
- 4 eggs
- 6 slices of bread torn up
- 2 c of milk
- 2 c shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp dry mustard powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Crumble sausage into a medium skillet. Cook over medium heat until evenly brown; drain.
- In a medium bowl, mix together mustard powder, salt, eggs and milk.
- Add sausage, bread pieces, and ¾ of the cheese, and stir to coat evenly.
- Pour into a greased 9x13 inch baking dish and sprinkle on the remaining ¼ of cheese.
- Cover, and chill in the refrigerator for 8 hours, or overnight OR bake immediately in a 350 degree oven
- Cover, and bake 45 to 60 minutes. Uncover, and reduce temperature to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Bake for an additional 30 minutes, or until set.
Thanks for stopping by! I'd love for you to FOLLOW ME!!