My hubby’s favorite genre of food is Mexican. Like faaaavorite! I love it too…but I could go out to eat simply to just eat chips and salsa. I have an addiction. I’m working on it 🙂
With summer coming up and just wanting to get healthier all around, my hubs and I are not eating fast releasing carbs (i.e.: pasta, bread, chips, etc…aka all the good stuff) during the week. We are saving them for the weekends only. During the week we can eat slow releasing carbs such as beans, etc. So…tonight for dinner we decided to have Huevos Rancheros because it’s not only delicious but could be modified to not have the stuff we are avoiding.
It was so good. Like soooo good! Super easy to make healthy for you with lots of protein! It’s basically a pile on top of each ingredient type recipe.
Let me show you how easy it is to make!
- One 15-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes, undrained
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves, plus more for garnish
- ¼ cup diced yellow onion
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 jalapeno pepper (seeded if desired)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 ounces cured chorizo, casings removed, diced
- One 16-ounce can refried beans, optional
- 4 large eggs
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and diced, for garnish
- In a food processor, combine the tomatoes (with juices), cilantro, onions, garlic, jalapeno, and salt; puree until smooth. Transfer the sauce to a small skillet and simmer over medium heat until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Cover and keep warm over low heat.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the chorizo until browned.
- Heat the refried beans.
- Cook eggs to your preference
- Slice avocados
- On a plate spread refried beans, topped with chorizo, topped with eggs, topped with salsa and finished with avocado slices
It’s definitely worth giving a try!! Enjoy!You May Also Like
Thanks for stopping by! I'd love for you to FOLLOW ME!!