Spring in the South is one of my favorite times of the year because it is the time of year to pick fresh fruit! Especially strawberries! You go to the patch, pick buckets worth and eat as many as you can while you’re out in the fields. You come back with red hands, mouths and clothes! It’s wonderful!
We used to live in Lexington, SC – right outside of the state capital, Columbia. Although we lived in city limits the county is known for its agriculture. We used to love to go strawberry picking and blueberry picking. Since it’s Spring Break here in NC, the kids and I headed back down to SC to go to Riverbanks Zoo and strawberry picking at our favorite place, The Patch.
Original Post: Both of my big kiddos started Preschool this week so I made their teacher’s Back-To-School gifts. You can read about it HERE.
For each of their teachers and assistant teachers I made Homemade Strawberry Oatmeal Bread. It is SO delicious and one of my favorite breads to make!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups rolled oats
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1¼ pounds fresh strawberries, sliced
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease two 7x3 inch loaf pans.
- Stir together the flour, 1½ cups rolled oats, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl. In another bowl, whisk together the vegetable oil and eggs; stir into flour mixture until just moistened. Fold in strawberries.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pans, and sprinkle the tops with the remaining ¼ cup of rolled oats.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes. Cool the strawberry bread in the pans for 5 minutes before cooling completely on a wire rack.
Thanks for stopping by! I'd love for you to FOLLOW ME!!