Author: Stephanie – Gathered in The Kitchen.com
Recipe type: Appetizer, Side Dish
Originally from mideastfood.com
- 1 16 oz can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans
- ¼ cup liquid from can of chickpeas
- 3-5 tablespoons lemon juice (depending on taste)
- 1½ tablespoons tahini
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Drain chickpeas and set aside liquid from can. Combine remaining ingredients in blender or food processor. Add ¼ cup of liquid from chickpeas. Blend for 3-5 minutes on low until thoroughly mixed and smooth.
- Place in serving bowl, and create a shallow well in the center of the hummus.
- Add a small amount (1-2 tablespoons) of olive oil in the well. Garnish with parsley (optional).
- Serve immediately with fresh, warm or toasted pita bread, or cover and refrigerate.
- For a spicier hummus, add a sliced red chile or a dash of cayenne pepper.